[Rubyinstaller-devel] Non-working gems (like id3lib-ruby)

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 20:22:03 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 5:16 AM, Charles Roper
<reachme at charlesroper.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Folks,

Hello Charles.

> I've been trying out the MinGW version of Ruby and have come across a few
> gems that don't install. Most of these, I think, are already known about
> (like hpricot), but some others perhaps aren't. Is it worth me posting those
> that I have tried to install but had problems with, or is it not worth it?

Well, collecting a list of these gems will be helpful, maybe a
blacklist of gems and the contact information of the developer for us
to poke them? ;-)

> Should I instead contact the author of the gems directly?

Yes, indeed, and point them to integrate rake-compiler, which soon
will get the rubyforge project approved ;-)

> The latest non-working gem I have found is id3lib-ruby.
>
> http://id3lib-ruby.rubyforge.org/
>
> This requires the id3lib C++ library. The author provides a precompiled
> version for Windows, and for Linux/OS X you have to install it using
> aptitude (or whatever).
>
> http://id3lib-ruby.rubyforge.org/doc/files/INSTALL.html
>
> In the light of Luis's rake-compiler, what would be the best way of
> improving the installation of this gem?

If the project is in github, fork the project, integrate the
enhacements using rake-compiler and send a pull request to the
developer.

if they are using subversion, try to generate some patches.

Either the new RubyInstaller and the cross compiler have stdc++, so
build c++ extensions will be easy.

> Another gem that breaks under MinGW is proj4rb:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/proj4rb/

I have no knowledge of those, but let's add those to a black list in the wiki?

> Cheers,
> Charles

Thank you Charles for your time on this!