[Rubyinstaller-devel] News for OpenSSL build

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 05:30:54 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 7:11 PM, Lars Christensen <larsch at belunktum.dk> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2008, Luis Lavena wrote:
>> After circumvent the issues with symlinks in the packages and find the
>> proper steps to build it, I managed to create a new recipe for it.
> I overcame my perl-phobia and decided to take a look at why the provided
> scripts failed, and ended up with just two issues:

Welcome to the club!

> * CR/LF issues. The mk1mk.pl script reads from MINFO and gets the \r\n
> instead of just \n, so the regexps fail silently.
> * When mingw32-make is run with MSYS in the PATH, it defaults to calling
> sh.exe instead of cmd.exe (copy/cp issue).
> I worked around the above issues by tweaking mk1mf.pl (tweaking the regexp)
> and mingw32.bat (adding SHELL=cmd.exe when invoking mingw32-make). This
> seems to work, even with DLL. Other than those two changes, it builds
> cleanly in the standard way.
> I've pushed my changes to github:
> http://github.com/larsch/rubyinstaller/tree/proper-openssl-alt
> However, I noticed that openssl.so still gets statically linked. I'm not
> sure why this is. I'll try and investigate. I seems to happen with my
> previous attempts with ActiveState and Strawberry too.

Did you had change to test the proper-openssl branch I created?

I got the shared lib (dll) building properly, but I need to check your
work too, so we can merge them into master and move forward soon.

Dunno you guys, but I want to release a Runtime version soon (like in 2 weeks?)

Regards and thank you for your hard work.