[Rubyinstaller-devel] [Fwd: GCC 4.x on Windows (now with more statistics!)]

Phillip Gawlowski cmdjackryan at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 27 19:56:47 EDT 2008

Luis Lavena wrote:

| Yeah, mailman sometimes does weird things :-P

Don't get me started. :P

| Yes, as end user is more easy to install it, but if you take a look at
| what we do with the recipes, you will see we are actually downloading
| GCC and MSYS to actually create a development environment, and not
| forcing the developer already have one installed ;-)

Well, yeah. But it'd be nice if you'd have checked if I had MSYS/MinGW
installed, like I do. :P

| Agree there too, running on the Core 2 Duo no ruby implemenation took
| real advantage of the CPU power it have available: it never used more
| than 45% :-P

No surprise there. MRI isn't multi-threaded, so of course it only uses
one CPU :P

| Well, actually is more than a real benchmark. As example, the YARV
| bench only prove and excersice especific parts of the Ruby VM that has
| been optimized, but is not a real life test like PetStore is done for
| testing Rails performance.

Yes and no. It it is a bit of number crunching, but doesn't test things
like IO, compression, Arrays, etc. I'm not talking about benchmarks
showing off features. ;)

| You don't need a lot of GCC fu, just replace the locations for the GCC
| packages, check they download, extract and can successfuly 'configure'
| and compile Ruby :-)

Well, that is easy (Search and replace FTW :P). But if something stumps
because GCC decides to roll over and die, I'm of no help. ;)

| Did you use configure to generate the makefile? if so that means you
| need MSYS installed too, don't remember if Giovanni installed provides
| it.

I have a full MSYS environment with GCC4, so of course I used configure. :P

P.S.: Sent to Rubyinstaller ML, too, in hope of a working subscription
now...

- --
Phillip Gawlowski
Twitter: twitter.com/cynicalryan

~ - You know you've been hacking too long when...
...a fly lands on the screen and you try to pick it up with the mouse
and put it in the onscreen trashcan!