[Rubyinstaller-devel] [Fwd: GCC 4.x on Windows (now with more statistics!)]

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 19:44:14 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Phillip Gawlowski
<cmdjackryan at googlemail.com> wrote:

>  Luis Lavena wrote:
>  | On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Phillip Gawlowski
>  | <cmdjackryan at googlemail.com> wrote:
>  |>  Since I have no clue if this arrived on the ruby installer list:
>  |>
>  | Nop, it didn't got into the list, you need to be subscribed to allow
>  mails :-P
>
>  Actually, I am. I didn't get a bounce, no nothing. Strange. I'll
>  investigate (and add all the possible GMail addresses I have, if need be
>
>  :P).

Yeah, mailman sometimes does weird things :-P

>  | Anyway, see my comments inline.
>  | I prefer TDM release, since a downloadable file that could be extracted:
>  | http://www.tdragon.net/recentgcc/
>  | The one that Giovanni maintains contains all bundled into a nice
>  | setup, which is good if you plan to install it on end-user computer,
>  | but prove no advantage for us.
>
>  What ever floats your boat, really. I just picked that one, since it was
>  the least hassle to install for me, when I needed to grab a GCC.

Yes, as end user is more easy to install it, but if you take a look at
what we do with the recipes, you will see we are actually downloading
GCC and MSYS to actually create a development environment, and not
forcing the developer already have one installed ;-)

>  | Yes, have played with it several times, you can see it in my older
>  | pastie, using noven.net release instead of TDM at that time (July
>  | 2007).
>  | http://pastie.caboo.se/95210
>
>  Hm, interesting..
>
>  The speed increase GCC3 vs GCC4 seems most notable in lower end
>  machines, like mine.

Agree there too, running on the Core 2 Duo no ruby implemenation took
real advantage of the CPU power it have available: it never used more
than 45% :-P

>  |>  Okay, for comparison (using Luis' 'benchmark'):
>  |>
>  |>  mswin32: 30.334 sec | speedup: 1
>  |>  gcc4: 18.557 sec | speedup: 1.63
>  |>  gcc3: 19.528 sec | speedup: 1.55
>  |>
>  | Nice numbers, the benchmark just use an average test instead of more
>  | of the specialized benchmarks out there, The nice thing is all the
>  | implementations support the script out of the box.
>
>  Yep, it is a good baseline, but not a 'real' benchmark, unfortunately.
>  But good enough to see trends, anyway.

Well, actually is more than a real benchmark. As example, the YARV
bench only prove and excersice especific parts of the Ruby VM that has
been optimized, but is not a real life test like PetStore is done for
testing Rails performance.

On average, I complete testing of a Rails application from 80 seconds
(580 sepcs) down to 48 seconds running with MinGW build of Ruby.

>  | Now that Installer3 is mirrored in the svn repository[1] you can grab
>  | them and provide patches for use of GCC4 instead of GCC3, you're
>  | welcome! :-D
>
>  Well, if I can do that, I will. But no guarantees (My GCC Fu is very,
>  very weak). ;)

You don't need a lot of GCC fu, just replace the locations for the GCC
packages, check they download, extract and can successfuly 'configure'
and compile Ruby :-)

>  However, when I built Ruby with GCC4, I had no problems to build it,
>  actually. I think that hinges more on the makefiles than the C source.

Did you use configure to generate the makefile? if so that means you
need MSYS installed too, don't remember if Giovanni installed provides
it.

>  | Thank you for your time and effort on testing all this!
>
>  No problem, really.
>

>  | PS: CC'ed this mail for the list to know about this!
>
>  Thanks.
>

>  | [1] http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/installer3/
>

>  - --
>  Phillip Gawlowski
>  Twitter: twitter.com/cynicalryan
>
>  Use recursive procedures for recursively-defined data structures.
>  ~            - The Elements of Programming Style (Kernighan & Plaugher)

Multimedia systems