[Rubyinstaller-devel] RFC: Version Control for new Installer?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 14:07:53 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Gordon Thiesfeld <gthiesfeld at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  >  I'm not 100% positive abut github. Like Zed wasn't with the move of
>  >  the svn repository outside rubyforge. We could better use gitorius [1]
>  >  instead of a closed source implementation, like if we go for LaunchPad
>  >  instead.
>  >

>  A lot of projects do primary souce control on Git, but merge to SVN on
>  rubyforge on a regular basis.  We could do the same, or the reverse.
>  Maybe we could keep SVN as the primary, but sync it up to Git.
>  Rubyforge also allows for a Git repo, although I don't know if it
>  would be worth changing to it at this point.  Also, I don't think we
>  can fault GitHub for being closed source.  After all, we're all here
>  because we want Ruby to work as well as possible on a closed source
>  OS.  GitHub is friendly _and free_ to open source projects, and I
>  agree with Gerardo that it could help us get more attention.

I think I missed the point about Zed's comments. The issue with the
svn repo is the "ownership" of it, the viability of the system you're
depending on.

DVCS break that model into pieces, all the users contributing to a
project have copies _almost_ up-to date, so I don't see issues with
that, Git or Bzr models.

>  >
>  >  Well, I mention msysGit in the original mail, basically it works,
>  >  still it misses a few bits but works. Still, we should keep using the
>  >  SVN repo at least for users already using Subversion at their
>  >  companies or working with other open-source projects that want to
>  >  contribute back, at least with patches.
>
>  I like this idea, there is no reason we can't do both.

I'll check if latest msysGit support dcommit to push changes back into
SVN, after all, we will only maintain a mirror branch over there.

>  That's my two cents.

Why only two cents? we all demand more! ;-)

>  Thanks,

So basically:

- GitHub rubyinstaller project that holds the new code we have been creating.
- Push via dcommit the changes back into SVN repo [1] as installer3 branch.
- Provide simple instructions in the docs and rake helpers into the
recipes for managing the git repo.

We all agree?

[1] http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/svn

Multimedia systems