[Rubyinstaller-devel] RFC: Version Control for new Installer?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 12:10:02 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido
<gerardo.santana at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a recent converted from CVS to Git, and find it very nice.

Still get confused due the high quantity of commands available and the
huge amount of combos to get simple things going... That's what I call
a bad UI versus a good UI...

>  One of its advantages is precisely what Luis mentions, to have the
>  ability to create local experimental branches without impacting the
>  main repository, and cherry-picking what you want.
>
>  github.com helps open source projects to get even more exposure which
>  is a good thing, getting attention and potentially getting more
>  contributions back. Nothing that I can scientifically prove though.

I'm not 100% positive abut github. Like Zed wasn't with the move of
the svn repository outside rubyforge. We could better use gitorius [1]
instead of a closed source implementation, like if we go for LaunchPad
instead.

Even we have a full repo that can be relocated/pushed to another
hosting/site. I found quite annoying the relocation of repositories of
OSS projects.

>  AFAIK, there's a Git version for MSYS. According to my logic book,
>  since installer3 will run on MSYS, it doesn't feel wrong to use
>  msysgit, which is already used in production environments (according
>  to its Wikipedia entry).

Well, I mention msysGit in the original mail, basically it works,
still it misses a few bits but works. Still, we should keep using the
SVN repo at least for users already using Subversion at their
companies or working with other open-source projects that want to
contribute back, at least with patches.

What we do with MSYS is quite different of what Git does. we only use
it for make and sh (bash) to get compatible support for configure
scripts and generated makefiles.

On the other hand, msysGit have it's own copy that I wouldn't touch
since could break something :-P

>  And more importantly, I don't like SVN and its long list of dependencies :-)

We wouldn't be building svn from scratch, trust me, I'll not go that
path... tried several times (more than 15 times) and failed all of
them.

>  That's my biased opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Not biased, but valid. Is good to know there are users in Windows
using Git, and I'll love to heard back regarding it's usage.

Multimedia systems