[Rubyinstaller-devel] RFC: Version Control for new Installer?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 10:12:06 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Will Green <will at hotgazpacho.org> wrote:
> SVN has the lowest barrier to entry for Win32 developers (Collabnet's
>  SVN installer for Windows, TortoiseSVN).

Good points. Even I have installed TortoiseSVN, no longer uses it due
some memory consumption that imposes on explorer.exe....

Anyway...

>  To the best of knowledge, all the other tools (bzr, git, etc) do not
>  have a stable, native win32 client. That is, they all require an
>  existing Cygwin or MinGW install.

On that topic, based in my personal experience. Bzr was one, if not
the only one that worked out of the box, using the standalone version
or the python packages. but as you state, there are no "stable"
releases or sometimes requires fulfill dependencies that can make
things a bit harder for developers.

>  The other benefit of SVN is that if folks want to use git, git-svn can
>  push their changes back to the SVN repo.

Right know I'm using bzr-svn which perform similar operations that
git-svn, so I'm good with that.

>  Given that this is a Win32 project for Win32 developers, my vote is for SVN.

Then I'll push the changes back into existing repo (but it's own
branch), and keep git or bzr for local workflow only.

Thank you for your comments Will,
.
Multimedia systems