[Rubyinstaller-devel] Ruby MinGW on Vista

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 19:31:05 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Michal Suchanek <hramrach at centrum.cz> wrote:
> On 12/04/2008, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 7:01 PM, David Leal <dgleal at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  > On 4/11/08, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >
>  >
>  > >  >  Just run configure step by its own and peek what ended in there (of
>  >  >  >  course, on a clean sandbox and after extract and prepare).
>  >  >
>  >  >  I sent you an email with all the files inside ruby_build. I hope it helps.
>  >  >
>  >
>  >
>  > Yes, it helped and I think I spotted where the problem lies.
>  >
>  >  Based on the files, it appears you updated the autoconf package (from
>  >  2.59 to 2.61). That is correct?
>  >
>  >  "generated by GNU Autoconf 2.61."
>  >
>  >  that is part of the config.log file.
>  >
>  >  I sticked to 2.59 since the new set of files generated by 2.61 didn't
>  >  worked properly.
>  >
>  >  config.log (2.59):
>  >
>  >  LIBPATHFLAG=' -L%s'
>  >
>  >  your config.log (2.61):
>  >
>  >  LIBPATHFLAG=' -L"%s"'
>  >
>  >  Somehow, dunno from where, the newer version of autoconf is being
>  >  called. The only one I see from your path that could be doing that is
>  >  Git, even more precise if you have a .bashrc file in your HOME folder
>  >  that is altering the $PATH...
>  >
>  >  Try running msys.bat from sandbox/msys and 'which autoconf' and it
>  >  should point to /bin/autoconf (7,663 bytes) and check the version
>  >  information around line 130 of that file.
>  >

>  Did you find a solution?

After all it seems is not related to quoted paths, but a GCC problem on Vista:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=4808B254.9000403%40tdragon.net

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=4808B667.584B9FC9%40dessent.net

I'm trying to report these problems back to MinGW developers since we
(one-click project) don't have enough resources to run GCC compilation
besides ruby one :-D

>  I patched configure.in on OS X to remove the quotes. There are similar
>  linking problems as on Vista so I hope I would get rid of them this
>  way.

Done that, didn't work, it seems that even small things like a gcc
hello world is broken on Vista.

Will keep working on getting things properly for it, since without the
One-Click Developer Kit will be useless.

>  Looks like the shipped configure has LIBPATHFLAG with the quotes, though.

Is because they used autconf 2.61, older versions (2.58 AFAIK) didn't do that.

>  Thanks

Thanks to you for your interest,

Multimedia systems