[Rubyinstaller-devel] make.cmd?

Gordon Thiesfeld gthiesfeld at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 11:57:38 EDT 2008

So, I was looking at the way msysGit wraps the git command in a batch
file, and I thought we could do the same thing for compiling
extensions in gems.
Something like this in \path_to_ruby\bin:

  REM make.cmd
  @echo off
  set path=%path%;c:\ruby\repo\oci\sandbox\mingw
  C:\ruby\repo\oci\sandbox\msys\bin\bash.exe  --login -i -c "make %*"
  exit /B %ErrorLevel%

This way we wouldn't need to worry about adding mingw to the path,
except when it's needed (ie. when make is called). We may need to add
msys to the path as well, I'm not sure.  I can use this method to `gem
install mongrel`.  It compiles native extensions and all that.  Of
course when I try to run mongrel it fails ;), but I think that's a
separate issue.

What do you think?  Am I oversimplifying the problem again?

My setup:

  Windows XP, SP2
  ruby 1.8.6 (2008-03-03 patchlevel 114) [i386-mingw32]
  rubygems 1.1.1