[Rubyinstaller-devel] compiling OpenSSL

Gordon Thiesfeld gthiesfeld at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 22:26:12 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 7:18 PM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 9:12 PM, Gordon Thiesfeld <gthiesfeld at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >
>  >  >  That segfault came from your OpenSSL change, or that is generated by
>  >  >  "out of the box" recipes?
>  >  >
>  >
>  >  With the "out of the box" recipes.  I haven't actually gotten OpenSSL
>  >  to compile yet ;)
>  >
>  Hehehe, ok, then it seems something smells fishy down there...
>  Can you use Dependency Walker on top of the openssl.so file? it will
>  try to resolve to msvcrt-ruby18.dll, libeay32.dll and libssl32.dll.
>  Please take note the path where these files resolves to, it seems
>  openssl.so, even is linked correctly at build time, at runtime it's
>  resolving the location of one of these dependencies wrong.

Good call.  I have libeay32.dll and libssl32.dll in
C:\Windows\system32.  I'll clean that up and try again tomorrow

>  >
>  > >  If OpenSSL cannot be extracted using simple tar, then bsdtar is not
>  >  >  enough or openssl packages are corrupt somehow.
>  >
>  >  7zip can open them ok, and Winzip too.  I was thinking about writing a
>  >  new extract method using 7zip (7z.exe), but that would be a dependency
>  >  (required to be installed and required to be in path).  I guess before
>  >  I even think about that, I should worry about getting OpenSSL
>  >  compiled, and working ;)
>  >
>  Maybe we can get a 7zip command line version package somewhere, as
>  long is .zip file (enough to bootstrap it with rubyzip).

Yes, here it is:

The only thing is that 7z.exe can't extract files in a single step,
you have to extract from gz or bz2, etc.,  then extract from tar.  I
don't think that would be too big of a problem, though.

Thanks again, Luis.