[Rubyinstaller-devel] compiling OpenSSL

Gordon Thiesfeld gthiesfeld at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 13:27:17 EDT 2008

So, I just stumbled across this article[1] that talks about compiling
OpenSSL with Mingw for Ruby and Python.  I thought I'd give it a try
to see if it would help with the openssl test failures.  I'm having a
few problems.

The first problem is in the extract step.  Bsdtar errors out when it
tries to extract the latest OpenSSL tar.gz[2].  So, I've sort of
skipped that step for the moment.  I run rake extract, then I manually
extract these files where I need them.

The second problem is getting the order of things right in rake.  I'm
assuming I would need to configure, compile, and install the OpenSSL
files (*.dll and *.a) before I try to build Ruby, and my rake skills
aren't good enough to figure out how to do this.

So, I think I'm going to try to configure msys and mingw properly, and
try this as a manual process to see if there's any worth to this
approach.  But, before I do that, I thought I'd ask here.  Does this
seem like a worthwhile approach, or am I on a wild goose chase? :-)

[1] http://bowmansolutions.com/mingw-openldap/
[2] http://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-0.9.8g.tar.gz

Thanks,

Gordon