[Rubyinstaller-devel] Ruby MinGW on Vista

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 08:13:53 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 7:33 AM, David Leal <dgleal at gmail.com> wrote:
> (Posting this again because I forgot to subscribe to the list, and I don't
> know if the mail is delivered in those conditions. Sorry if this is a double
> post.)

No double post, it seems it didn't made through :-P

> Hi all,
>
> so I spoke to Luis a few hours ago on IRC, because I was having problems
> building ruby on windows using the new installer scripts. While I'm happy to
> report that it now compiles flawlessly since the update to the last MinGW
> version, I still have a problem installing any gem, because it can't find
> zlib: "No such file to load -- zlib". I checked and zlib1.dll is in the
> ruby_mingw/bin directory, and I have that in my path.

Fir of all, thank you for your interest and the time you took to

It seems that building of zlib extension failed. you can check if the
extension got build in ruby_build/ext/zlib (look for mkmf.log and
leftovers like .o files).

If none of these things exists (or even the folder), could be the root
of the problem.

This will sound silly, but can you try cleanup and try again?

>rake clean
(wait until sandbox is wiped)
>rake
(that should extract and compile everything from scratch, again).

You could see it also if it gets build during this phase, the
extension is the last to be build, check of the output after
"compiling zlib" (expected output):

compiling zlib
make[1]: Entering directory
`/d/Users/Luis/projects/oss/oci/installer3/dev/sandbox/ruby_build/ext/zlib'
gcc -I. -I../.. -I../../../ruby_1_8 -I../../../ruby_1_8/ext/zlib -DHAVE_ZLIB_H
-DOS_CODE=OS_WIN32   -g -O2   -c ../../../ruby_1_8/ext/zlib/zlib.c
gcc -shared -s -o ../../.ext/i386-mingw32/zlib.so zlib.o -L. -L../..
-L.  -Wl,--enable-auto-image-base,--enable-auto-import,--export-all
-lmsvcrt-ruby18 -lzdll  -lshell32 -lws2_32
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/d/Users/Luis/projects/oss/oci/installer3/dev/sandbox/ruby_build/ext/zlib'

> Any suggestions, other than "ditch Vista?"

You wouldn't hear me say something like that, never :-P

> Cheers,
>
> David

Please let me know if that helped and report any other issues, I'll
happily hack in solutions for this :-)

Regards,
Multimedia systems