[Rubyinstaller-devel] Gem based Mingw build environment

Gordon Thiesfeld gthiesfeld at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 15:39:14 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Thanks to you Gordon, for taking the time to analyze this and provide
>  your feedback. I wish we could do some of these stuff without hack
>  around Ruby, but avoiding ruby sometimes is healthier :-)

I appreciate you taking the time to explain all of this to me.  So,
the package size issue and the rbconfig issues are resolved.  That
leaves us with the issue of setting env variables.  Then, it's just a
matter of which packaging mechanism to use (msi, or rubygems).

I don't have a lot of experience with compiling extensions.  I have
compiled the win32console extension with VC6, and with MinGW.  With
VC6, I had to download the Windows platform SDK, run two batch files
to set env vars, and finally I got it to build.  It took me hours to
get it working.  Maybe that's because I'd never done it before - for
someone with a lot of C/C++ Windows experience it may have been
trivial.  With Mingw, I hacked into your installer project's rake
recipes, used the msys_sh method, and I was done.  It took me 20
minutes tops.  I guess my question is, since you can provide a package
that builds ruby and all of it's stdlib extensions via a rakefile
without setting env vars, is it something that we need to worry about?

Maybe you're just making it look too easy, I don't know :-)