[Rubyinstaller-devel] Gem based Mingw build environment

Gordon Thiesfeld gthiesfeld at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 12:04:59 EDT 2008

I've been rereading the threads from the last few months, and in
"Windows Compilation madness"[1], a gem based Windows development
environment was discussed.  I think that being able to gem install a
mingw development environment is a really great idea.  In that thread
there were three reasons against this approach, and I want to discsuss

Luis Lavena wrote:
> Roger Pack suggested me to bundle MinGW in a gem...:

> 1) a 8MB gem (!!!)

Ok, I understand that 'gem instal'l would have a problem with this,
but I think if we (or I, if no one else is interested) abstract out
the necessary bits from Luis'  installer3 rake recipes, we could just
distribute all ruby code.  We just need to make it fairly simple for
the user to get msys and mingw set up.

> 2) because mingw is inside the gem, will not be easy hook it into PATH

We could have a command in the gem's bin dir that would help us set
this up.  It would ask the user if he has msys and mingw installed,
and if so prompt for the path.  If not, it could download it into the
location of the user's choosing.  Then it could create a config file
in $HOME or $USERPROFILE, similar to what Hoe or Autotest or Rubyforge
uses.   This file would contain the paths to msys and mingw and any
other global configuration needed to make this work.  From there, the
users could require this gem into their rakefile, and have all the
tools they need.

> 3) that didn't solve the rbconfig issues.

This issue is one I'm not sure I understand, and it may be the
showstopper.  Anyway, those are my ideas I'm interested to hear what
people think.

[1]  http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/6b299623e53edbd9/71760b19769067e6?lnk=gst&q=lavena+mingw+gem#71760b19769067e6