[Rubyinstaller-devel] mingw exceptions

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 12:55:37 EDT 2007

On 10/23/07, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would appear that it is possible to create a mingw build that does weird
> things (I'm not sure if a plain version exhibits these issues).  I have one
> distro built in which rubygems refuses to work--throws weird errors (it may
> have been just a faux pas of mine--I messed around with it a LOT so it's
> like a hodge-podge of junk).
>
> Anyway if anyone has seen anything like this let me know:
> irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
> => true
> irb(main):002:0> require 'sources'
> rescued exception
> no such file to load --
> sourcesC:/ruby_mingw4/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:30:in
> `gem_original_require'
> (sources does exist).
>

> I go in there to see where the problem is, and add this
> code around "init_gemspecs"
>  begin
>    @gemspecs = init_gemspecs # this seems to throw some type of ephemeral
> exception or something
>  rescue Exception => e
>  print 'gotcha', e, e.backtrace.join("\n"), "\n"
>  end
>

> An exception is raised, but this code doesn't catch it
> When I change it to "rescue Object," I can catch it, but the backtrace is
> empty, and it seems to be a copy of an exception thrown earlier.

You should check what init_gemspecs is doing.

If you think is a Ruby problem, try to isolate a simple example and
bounce that to ruby-core ;-)

But I guess RubyGems is getting confused by the information in
rbconfig and the one it generates.

Try doing "gem env" and see where it's supposed to get the gems from.

Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.
Vince Lombardi