[Rubyinstaller-devel] mingw exceptions

Roger Pack rogerpack2005 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 11:16:31 EDT 2007

It would appear that it is possible to create a mingw build that does weird
things (I'm not sure if a plain version exhibits these issues).  I have one
distro built in which rubygems refuses to work--throws weird errors (it may
have been just a faux pas of mine--I messed around with it a LOT so it's
like a hodge-podge of junk).

Anyway if anyone has seen anything like this let me know:
irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> require 'sources'
rescued exception
no such file to load --
(sources does exist).

I go in there to see where the problem is, and add this code around
  @gemspecs = init_gemspecs # this seems to throw some type of ephemeral
exception or something
rescue Exception => e
print 'gotcha', e, e.backtrace.join("\n"), "\n"

An exception is raised, but this code doesn't catch it
When I change it to "rescue Object," I can catch it, but the backtrace is
empty, and it seems to be a copy of an exception thrown earlier.

@gemspecs = init_gemspecs
rescue Object => e
print 'gotcha', e, e.backtrace.join("\n"), "\n"

If I do
require 'rubygems'
require 'sources'

It seems to do slightly diffferent things.
There seems to possibly be confusion on exceptions--like that earlier
exception is raised...again!

So anyway I'm not sure if this is a 'real' problem or not or just one with
because of carelessness on my part.  Just reporting findings.