[Rubyinstaller-devel] Did you succeed on Ruby-MinGW compilation?

Roger Pack rogerpack2005 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 17:00:54 EDT 2007

All right I finally hacked through to a working copy of mingw 'with all the
fixings' of Ruby 1.8.6's "latest stable release" version.
I have posted the final ruby executable with gems and zlib etc. etc. here

If anybody wants to try it out and give feedback that would be great!
I will try and post a smaller version of the existing downloadable zipfile
soon (it may or may not be there by the time you read this email).
Thanks for Luis for support, and for obscure emails in newslists around the
world for tidbits of information.  Wish I could say it had been easy.

To install:
unzip the ruby_mingw4.zip file to c:\ (or wherever)
then make sure (in this example) c:\ruby_mingw4\bin is at the front of your
Verify by running ruby -v
-- should say mingw
Now you can install gems by using gem list, gem install XXX (package name
and see what's installed
gem list

There are a grundle of packages pre-installed, you may want to uninstall
some, a la
gem list
gem uninstall rails -v 1.2.5 (or what not).
gem install rails -v 1.2.3 (to install rails 1.2.3, and uninstall 1.2.5)

You may also want to set the environment variable RUBY_OPT=rubygems (or
whatever it is exactly) for it to execute "require 'rubygems'" before each

This release appears to work with rails on windows, using a lot of
libraries. Good luck!
Sponsored in part by mokisystems.com web development and
upillar.com online vehicle sales
and doachristianturndaily.info

Remember to have a great day!

-Roger Pack