[Rubyinstaller-devel] side by side

Curt Hibbs curt.hibbs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 11:06:40 EST 2007

> On 11/7/07, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > With the normal OCI it gives tons of libraries, most of which are
> unused,
> > and if there are some that are used, users can just install the gem with
> no
> > problem.
> Yeah, user get a lot of things out of the box, but sometimes some gems
> requires the compiler, which is another issue we must face.

Over the years I have definitely cut back on the included extensions,
encouraging the use of RubyGems instead. The guiding factors that I have
used are that OCI should out-of-the-box 1) support the Windows platform
(this means including the core Win32 gems), and 2) should include modest
newbie tools to help them explore Ruby.

#2 is why OCI includes fxri (which is good for seasoned rubyists as well as
newbies). Including fxri requires the inclusion of FXRuby. I've tried to get
someone to write a GUI interface to RubyGems, without any luck. If someone
had done that, I would have included it.

Also, since database programming and web programming are very popular uses,
including DBI and OpenSSL make a lot of sense.

Gui RubyyGems