[Rubyinstaller-devel] side by side

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 00:40:50 EST 2007

On 11/7/07, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
> After you get the mingw compilation going, it seems to me like setting up a
> script to compile it nightly wouldn't be too hard.  Oh--except for the one
> click aspect.

Part of the Installer is the One-Click ;-)

> So far the only error I've really found is that running ruby-e "\"" anything
> quotes in quotes causes problems.

Did you tried -e 'puts "hello"' instead of the quad quotes?
(double-double quotes)

> Maybe we can put a link on the main page to the mingw one until we get
> feedback for it. Something side by side.  What is the problem with having
> two?

I still have my reservations about mingw/vc8 builds.

Another kind of package right now will get us a lot of troubles since
we are in RC stage.
After OCI hits stable we will start the brain storm process for the
upcoming release.

The whole build process should be automated, and the package building
(Windows Installer + Merge Modules) for the extensions and libraries.

> With the normal OCI it gives tons of libraries, most of which are unused,
> and if there are some that are used, users can just install the gem with no
> problem.

Yeah, user get a lot of things out of the box, but sometimes some gems
requires the compiler, which is another issue we must face.

> Maintaining a slimmed down version seems like it would be cake, once you get
> one going.

The whole idea is start from scratch, be modular and easily testable,
taking as experience what we learned from OCI.

> Thoughts?

I guess you can collect all the comments I made previously to this
topic in ruby-talk and here :-)

Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.
Vince Lombardi