[Rubyinstaller-devel] Ruby 1.8.4 and Windows XP SP2 socket problems

Curt Hibbs curt.hibbs at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 22:15:15 EDT 2006

On 6/4/06, Dan Hatfield <dan.hatfield at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Curt,
> Trying to determine the best course of action for myself on this issue
> (windows IFS sockets)...
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/5388
>
> The patch has been applied to 1.9:
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ruby/win32/win32.c.diff?r1=1.154;r2=1.155;f=h
>

> I downloaded the latest 1.9 binary and it does indeed solve the issue.
>
> Of course, I need Ruby 1.8 for Rails...
>
> I had started down the path of patching ruby 1.8.4 and recompiling.
> I've followed Austin Ziegler's path on Visual Studio C++ 2005 Express
> Edition with  some success and I have a compiled ruby (and the socket
> problem appears fixed).
> Now I've just realized I have to also recompile zlib, etc....

If you're going to compile yourself, you really want to use VC++ 6,otherwise
you'll end up with all kinds of compatibility problems with other binary
libs.

So now, I'm wondering - is there any effort to get this patch into 1.8 at
> all? Or into your one-click installer for Windows? With 1.9 being an
> experimental branch and Ruby 2.0 not being anytime soon, I'm thinking this
> problem will be growing an importance as more people end up on XP SP2.

I have no idea... I'm not part of the core ruby developer team.

Or should I just continue down the path of recompiling my own binaries? And
> if so, is your one-click installer a good place to go ( i.e. download your
> tarball and attempt to build from there)?

I no longer build the Ruby binary from source for the one-click installer.
Instead, I pick up the binary built by the core Ruby development team (which
is build using VC++ 6).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
> Dan

I'd suggest asking on the ruby-core ML if this fix is going to be
back-ported to 1.8.4.

Curt