[Rubyinstaller-devel] Ruby 1.8.4 and Windows XP SP2 socket problems

Dan Hatfield dan.hatfield at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 21:16:58 EDT 2006

Hi Curt,
Trying to determine the best course of action for myself on this issue
(windows IFS sockets)...

The patch has been applied to 1.9:

I downloaded the latest 1.9 binary and it does indeed solve the issue.

Of course, I need Ruby 1.8 for Rails...

I had started down the path of patching ruby 1.8.4 and recompiling.
I've followed Austin Ziegler's path on Visual Studio C++ 2005 Express
Edition with  some success and I have a compiled ruby (and the socket
problem appears fixed).
Now I've just realized I have to also recompile zlib, etc....

So now, I'm wondering - is there any effort to get this patch into 1.8 at
all? Or into your one-click installer for Windows? With 1.9 being an
experimental branch and Ruby 2.0 not being anytime soon, I'm thinking this
problem will be growing an importance as more people end up on XP SP2.

Or should I just continue down the path of recompiling my own binaries? And
if so, is your one-click installer a good place to go (i.e. download your
tarball and attempt to build from there)?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.