[Rubyinstaller-devel] a simple ruby build script for macos x

Curt Hibbs curt at hibbs.com
Fri Nov 5 15:17:27 EST 2004

Mark Hubbart wrote:

> Hi, all
>
> I think this is where I should send this...
>
> Attached is my basic build script. As I said, it only *builds* ruby,
> oniguruma, and readline at the moment. I cleaned up the code a little,
> and added a few more comments, but basically what you see is what you
> get, for now. It's a starting point.
>
> Let me know what you think. I'll be working on it some more tonight,
> and over the next couple days when I get a chance. It wants some
> serious refactoring.

Thanks, Mark!

For the rest of you on the ML, let me bring you up-to-date with the latest
happenings (there have been a bunch a private emails that preceded this
posting by Mark).

Independently of the one-click installer project, Mark has produced a mac
osx installer, and recently announced a new release of it on the
ruby-talk-ML. I contacted Mark off-list and asked him if he would like to
join forces with our mac osx effort being headed up by Steve Steiner.

Both Mark and Steve liked the prospect of sharing the work (who wouldn't...
we all have outside lives to live as well :-)! And we all like the idea of
getting a headstart by using what Mark has already done.

Mark did caution us that what he has is still a little rough around the
edges (but, so what? even the build system for the window's installer could
still use some improvements).

I made Steve an Admin on the one-click installer project so that he can help
share in the administration of the project itself (for things like granting
cvs commit access). And he is going to setup some pages on our wiki to help
guide and document the mac os x effort.

Note to Mark: As I told Steve when he first signed on for the mac os x
effort, I think you'll find this project to be personally very gratifying.
If you look at the download stats on RubyForge, you'll see that one-click
installer for windows has been wildly popular -- about 150 downloads a day,
and over 21,000 total downloads since the installer was moved to RubyForge a
year ago!

I want to duplicate this success on the mac. Making it easy for people to
install and get started on Ruby is one of the primary ways we can help
spread Ruby adoption in the industry!

Now I just need to find someone to do the kde and gnome versions of the
installer and we'll be set. If you know anyone who might be interested,
please send them my way.

Curt