[Rubyinstaller-devel] RE: Ruby Installer for Windows: use of Win32OLE bug causes crash

Curt Hibbs curt at hibbs.com
Fri May 7 23:11:27 EDT 2004

Jos Backus wrote:

> On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 06:53:54AM +0900, Shashank Date wrote:
> > Thanks for reporting this with an example ... we (the
> Ruby-Installer team)
> > were
> > unable to test this before putting out the rc2 for want of such
> an example.
>
> I have been drilling down into this problem most of the
> afternoon, and I have
> been stripping diskspace.rb to where a _source_ change of
> removing a specific
> line causes an error. So it looks like some kind of memory
> corruption problem
> during the lexing/parsing phase? I'll dig further.
>
> > I do not know if we will able to fix it, but at least we will be able to
> > test it better.
>
> Thanks. Please let me know if you can repro this problem. I am on Win2K3
> Server.

Thanks for the effort you've been putting forward to help diagnose this
problem. I created a bug report for this and anything else you discover, you
can add to it at:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=563&group_id=167&atid
=715

In all honesty, though, this is not likely to get fixed in this release.
There are several reasons.

First, I need to Release the final 181-13 no later than tomorrow night.
Sunday kicks off a series of events in my life that will tie up most of my
spare time for the next couple months.

Second, this is most likely a problem with win32ole itself and probably not
with our build of it. Win32ole is known to be broken in the Ruby 1.8.1
distribution. As an attempt at a quick fix for this, I simply stuck in the
win32ole.so file from our 180-10 release. That seems to have helped some,
but obviously not completely.

You could try building win32ole from ruby cvs head and see if that would
work.

At any time after the 181-13 release, if you (or anyone) gets a working
version of win32ole, we could post the win32ole.so file as a patch to the
released installer.

Curt