[Rubyinstaller-devel] RE: Ruby Installer for Windows: use of Win32OLE bug causes crash

Curt Hibbs curt at hibbs.com
Fri May 7 23:11:27 EDT 2004

Jos Backus wrote:
> On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 06:53:54AM +0900, Shashank Date wrote:
> > Thanks for reporting this with an example ... we (the
> Ruby-Installer team)
> > were
> > unable to test this before putting out the rc2 for want of such
> an example.
> I have been drilling down into this problem most of the
> afternoon, and I have
> been stripping diskspace.rb to where a _source_ change of
> removing a specific
> line causes an error. So it looks like some kind of memory
> corruption problem
> during the lexing/parsing phase? I'll dig further.
> > I do not know if we will able to fix it, but at least we will be able to
> > test it better.
> Thanks. Please let me know if you can repro this problem. I am on Win2K3
> Server.

Thanks for the effort you've been putting forward to help diagnose this
problem. I created a bug report for this and anything else you discover, you
can add to it at:

In all honesty, though, this is not likely to get fixed in this release.
There are several reasons.

First, I need to Release the final 181-13 no later than tomorrow night.
Sunday kicks off a series of events in my life that will tie up most of my
spare time for the next couple months.

Second, this is most likely a problem with win32ole itself and probably not
with our build of it. Win32ole is known to be broken in the Ruby 1.8.1
distribution. As an attempt at a quick fix for this, I simply stuck in the
win32ole.so file from our 180-10 release. That seems to have helped some,
but obviously not completely.

You could try building win32ole from ruby cvs head and see if that would

At any time after the 181-13 release, if you (or anyone) gets a working
version of win32ole, we could post the win32ole.so file as a patch to the
released installer.