[Rubyinstaller-devel] Learning NSIS [was Ruby Installer for Windows 1.8.1-13Release Candidate 2]

Curt Hibbs curt at hibbs.com
Sun May 2 02:48:53 EDT 2004

Shashank Date wrote:[mailto:sdate at everestkc.net]
[snip]

> Most welcome ... actually I feel very guilty of dropping the ball
> last time. I had trapped most of the errors reported by others but
> did not promptly notify them here. After all the hard work you
> put in to get it to this level ... no fair !

Don't worry about it... we all do what we can.

> I hope to get some more time towards end of this month when
> I start working on this more ...
>
> And finally some questions if I may ... did you script all the NSIS
> code for the installer. I am trying to learn some features and the
> online help is not helping me much. Lack of good short examples.

I've used NSIS for the FreeRIDE and wxRuby installers. For this installer
script, I basically took what Andy had already done and modified it to work
properly with version 2 of the NSIS installer. I'm not any kind of expert
with NSIS, but I know enough to find my way around.

Probably one of the easiest ways to get up to speed is to use one of many
third party NSIS editors. The couple I tried had new-project wizards that
would lead you through a series of questions and then generate the script
for you. Looking at the resulting script was an excellent way to
learn-by-example.

The one that I liked the best (this was about 6 months ago) was:

  Venis IX
  http://nsis.sourceforge.net/archive/nsisweb.php?page=78&instances=0,8

This NSIS page has a long list of NSIS related software:

  http://nsis.sourceforge.net/archive/nsisweb.php?page=8&instances=0

Hope this helps!

Curt