[Rubyinstaller-devel] RE: [Rubyinstaller-announce] [ANN] Ruby Installer for Windows 1.8.1-13Release Candidate 2

Curt Hibbs curt at hibbs.com
Sun May 2 00:14:22 EDT 2004


Shashank Date wrote:[mailto:sdate at everestkc.net]
>
> Hi Curt,
>
> > It seems that the 1.8.1 release of Ruby had broken versions of RI and
>
> I tried ri and it is behaving in a strange fashion:
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\>ri -T String
> More than one class or module matched your request. You can refine
> your search by asking for information on one of:
>
>      String, String
>
> C:\>ri -T Array.join
> More than one method matched your request. You can refine
> your search by asking for information on one of:
>
>      Array#join, Array#join
>
> C:\>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> It does this no matter what I search for. Then I did
>
>   C:\ruby> rdoc -f ri
>
> and it threw an error (see attached file). This may not be an installer
> issue
> though. Do you want me to report this to Dave?

I think there is something wrong with your setup. Perhaps you have more than
one version of ruby installed and on your path? Or you installed this new
version on top of your old version and that left some old files around that
are confusing RI.

The above RI commands work fine for on my main machine. Plus I installed on
a completely clean machine (i.e. a freshly installed copy of Windows 2000)
and it works fine there as well.

Try removing all traces of Ruby from your hard disk and path and then
reinstalling.

>
> > Win32ole. This release of the Ruby Installer fixes these two problems by
> > using the Win32ole from Ruby 1.8.0 and RI from the 04-27-2007 CVS
>
> How do I test for this ? Is there any sample code which I can run
> to verify
> that it was broken in the earlier release (which I still have on
> my machine)
> and is now running fine?

I didn't have a way to test this in the time I had available (in about a
week I won't be able to do much Ruby work for a couple months), and the
author of Win32ole confirmed that it did not work properly in Ruby 1.8.1.
The person who reported the problem stated that reverting to version in our
180-10 released worked (and the Win32ole author also confirmed that this was
a viable solution).

So I took this one on faith (plus I'm assuming the person who originally
reported the problem will test this for us).

> > If there are no significant problems reported with this release, then it
>
> Some minor nits:
>
> 1. The ruby version still says:
>     C:\>ruby -v
>            ruby 1.8.1 (2003-12-25) [i386-mswin32]

Actually, this is correct. I originally made the same mistake, but
subsequently found out that this is the date that this version of Ruby
(1.8.1) was released, *not* the date that we built our release.

> 2. The ReleaseNotes.txt says: Installer Version 12

Thanks -- I fix this one!

> These not show stoppers. Other things look good.
>
> I specifically tested for .bat files, clicking on all .exes through File
> Explorer,
> clicking on all icons in the Start Menu, the Uninstaller, partial Install
> (only the
> base), re-Install (everything) etc.
>
> Works like a champ !

Great! Thanks for the confirmation!

Curt



More information about the Rubyinstaller-devel mailing list