[Rubyinstaller-devel] Cygwin-free build changes checked in to cvs

Curt Hibbs curt at hibbs.com
Sat Mar 20 03:12:03 EST 2004

Ok, I have updated the README with a detail set of steps to Perform a
successful build, and check in all of my changes. As a sanity check, I
deleted my entire RubyInstaller directory tree, reacquired it out of cvs,
and then built it again -- total success!

I am using VC++ 7.1 (from Visual Studio .NET 2003). It would be nice to find
out if this can be successfully build using VC++ 6 SP5, for those of you who
have that installed.

Tomorrow night I will start cleaning up the NSIS script.

Curt

PS
  I pasted the contents of the README below.

Building the Ruby Installer for Windows
=======================================

Building the Ruby Installer is a two step process:

1. Download and compile Ruby and the extension packages.
2. Package the results of step 1 into a self-contained
   Windows installer.

Both steps are automated via makefiles.

** NOTE:
   This readme is currently incomplete because it covers only
   step 1. I will be updating this very soon to cover step 2.
   (Curt Hibbs, 3-20-2004)

Prerequisites
=============

Before you can build the Ruby Installer, you must install software
and configure your system as follows:

* Ruby 1.8.0 or greater

* Microsoft Visual C++

  I am using VC++ 7.1 (comes with Visual Studio .NET 2003),
  but VC++ 6.0 SP5 should also work.

* Oracle 8 Client for Windows
  (http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/oracle8i/htdocs/winsoft.html)

  This is a free download, but you have to register before you can
  download it. After you have installed the Oracle client you must
  add to your lib and include paths as follows:

  - Add "...\oci\include" to the include path.
  - Add "...\oci\lib\msvc" to the lib path.

* Info UnZip
  (http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/UnZip.html)

  - download the file: unz550xN.exe (self-extracting archive)
  - Exexcute it to unzip to the directory of your choice.
  - Make sure that directory is on your path.

* GNUWin32
  (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuwin32/)

  - Download and install: "tar" and "gzip"
  - Add "...\GnuWin32\bin" to your path

Step 1: Download and Compile
============================

* Open a command window and navigate to:
  ...\installer\builder

* Be sure you have your environment variables set for VC++
  (for VC++ 7, run "vsvars32.bat")
  (for VC++ 6, run "vcvars32.bat")

* run "nmake" (no parameters)

  NOTE: When Expat is installed, it will popup a Windows
        installer dialog. Unfortunately, there is no way
        to avoid this. Just accept all of the defaults and
        let the build continue.

That's it!

Your system should download all needed packages to:
   ...\installer\stable\download

And build the system to the base directory:

   ...\installer\stable

Step 2: Create the self-contained installer EXE