[Rubyinstaller-devel] Building without cygwin

Curt Hibbs curt at curthibbs.us
Fri Mar 5 09:56:30 EST 2004

As you know from my previous posts, I have made it through the first phase
of building the ruby installer (with the exception of the RI database). This
means everything compiled, but I haven't yet run NSIS to generate the actual
installer.

In the meantime, a few things have happened:

1) I found an anomaly in the current 181-11 release that seems to indicate
that parts of it may have been inadvertently compiled with cygwin.

2) In the process of releasing a version of FreeRIDE for Windows it was
discovered that the FreeRIDE debugger would work under a vc++ 7 build of
ruby 1.8.1, but would not run under our 181-11 release. This may be related
to item #1 above.

3) I had a hard disk crash on my development machine, and I have been busy
rebuilding my development environment.

Because of all of this, I elected not to install cygwin at all and to make
changes to the ruby installer build process as I go to eliminate the need
for cygwin. So far, this has primarily meant using pieces of GnuWin32, which
is a native windows port of GNU utilities. So far I have only used "tar" and
"gzip", but I'm sure that I will also need "rm".

Anyway, I just wanted to keep you informed. If you don't already know, you
can find GnuWin32 on sourceforge at:

   http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/

Curt
---