[Rubyinstaller-devel] Include OpenSSL?

Jos Backus jos at catnook.com
Fri Jul 30 13:58:08 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 11:58:31AM -0500, Curt Hibbs wrote:
> Jos Backus wrote:
> > Great. So it boils down to:
> > - Build OpenSSL
> > - Install it to some location
> > - Package up the bits in that location using a gemspec. I take it
> > I can just
> >   copy what (say) FXRuby does.
> I think that is basically it (coming from someone who has not yet created a
> RubyGem, either). You might also want to read through the getting started
> material on the RubyGems site.
Yeah, I read all the material there last night. Found one typo: one wiki page
refers to gem_path as the config keyword whereas others refer to it as
gempath. I would prefer to use underscores (plus there's GEM_PATH already).
Not sure yet what the actual software uses.

> Also, I would contact the authors ruby-openssl and let then know you are
> doing this.

> And finally, since openssl is not a RubyForge project, and since RubyForge
> the primary (or only) public RubyGems server, you need to find out how to
> get your gem in the RubyForge repository (I cc'd Tom Copeland for an answer
> on this).
> Or maybe in your contacts with the authors, the prospect of getting an
> easily installed gem version might convince them to move to RubyForge! You
> can always suggest this. The advantage to being a RubyForge project, is that
> you merely have to release the gem file on the RubyForge project and it
> automatically goes into the gem server repository.
That sounds really convenient indeed.

Hope you enjoy your vacation, Curt!

Jos Backus                       _/  _/_/_/      Sunnyvale, CA
jos at catnook.com        _/_/   _/_/_/          require 'std/disclaimer'