[Rubyinstaller-devel] Include OpenSSL?

Curt Hibbs curt at hibbs.com
Fri Jul 30 12:58:31 EDT 2004

Jos Backus wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 07:45:50AM -0500, Curt Hibbs wrote:
> > It *does* support binary gems, but improved support is coming very soon.
> > Right now you can package up a binary gem for each platform,
> but the user
> > has to choose the correct version. Rich and Chad are also
> working to extend
> > it so that you just pick what package you want, and RubyGems
> will choose the
> > correct binary package for your platform.
> Great. So it boils down to:
> - Build OpenSSL
> - Install it to some location
> - Package up the bits in that location using a gemspec. I take it
> I can just
>   copy what (say) FXRuby does.

I think that is basically it (coming from someone who has not yet created a
RubyGem, either). You might also want to read through the getting started
material on the RubyGems site.

Also, I would contact the authors ruby-openssl and let then know you are
doing this.

And finally, since openssl is not a RubyForge project, and since RubyForge
the primary (or only) public RubyGems server, you need to find out how to
get your gem in the RubyForge repository (I cc'd Tom Copeland for an answer
on this).

Or maybe in your contacts with the authors, the prospect of getting an
easily installed gem version might convince them to move to RubyForge! You
can always suggest this. The advantage to being a RubyForge project, is that
you merely have to release the gem file on the RubyForge project and it
automatically goes into the gem server repository.