[Rubyinstaller-devel] Include OpenSSL?

Curt Hibbs curt at hibbs.com
Thu Jul 29 20:02:48 EDT 2004

Andrew Hunt wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 19:12, Jos Backus wrote:
> > How much work would it be to include OpenSSL? Do people find
> this useful?
> > For me it would make SFTP available out of the box.
>
> IIRC, the problem is legal, not technical.  There are potential problems
> with distributing SSL code in certain jurisdictions, and I didn't want
> to get involved in any nastiness.
>
> If I'm wrong, then by all means I think it should be included.  But as I
> recall, there are issues...

Rich Kilmer and Chad Fowler are busy creating a GUI interface for RubyGems
which I want to include in the installer (and possibly automatically invoke)
to allow the user to install additional packages of their choice. Rich has
promised me to have this ready within the next week or so.

If someone (you?) could package up OpenSSL as a gem, then it could be easily
installed by any user who wanted it (and we don't have to worry about any
legal issues).

Curt