[Rubyinstaller-devel] Curt's Build Notes (a work in progress)

Andrew Hunt andy at toolshed.com
Tue Feb 24 13:58:14 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 23:44, Shashank Date wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> > - VC++ 7.1(later I will try vc++ 6.0 SP5)
>
> I am using VC++ 6.0

Same here.  SHould be fine.  7.1 supposedly produces faster builds.

> > - Cygwin (added "C:\cygwin\bin" to the path)
> > - Info UnZip (http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/UnZip.html)
> >   - downloaded: unz550xN.exe (self-extracting archive)
> >   - added to path
>
> Why do we need this ?

Because some of the Ruby packages are distributed as tarballs, some as
zips, etc.  I'm using the tar from cygwin, but you also need an unzip
(WinZip would also work, and it handles tgz as well as zip).

> > - Oracle Client (I used 8.1.7)
> >   (added ...\oci\include directory to the include path).
> >   (added ...\oci\lib\msvc directory to the lib path).
>
> I do not have access to Oracle.

You can the developer pack for free.  I think you just sign up on their
website.  All you need is the client setup.

> > My Build Steps:
> >
> > - cd ...\installer\builder
> > - nmake
> >
> > - At install of Expat, the makefile hint for the correct install dir is
> > wrong:
> >   HINT: destination directory is
> >   E:\Dev\RubyDev\rubyinstaller\cvs-repo\installer\stable/Expat-1.95.4
> >
> >   it should be:
> >
> >   HINT: destination directory is
> >

> E:\Dev\RubyDev\rubyinstaller\cvs-repo\installer\stable\download/Expat-1.95.4
>
> I am struggling with exactly this right now, and cannot find the Makefile
> which has this HINT.

It's in the ruby script (either builder.rb or commands.rb), not in the
makefile.

thanks, guys...

/\ndy