[Rubyinstaller-devel] RE: FXRuby and the (new) Ruby Installer for OS X

Curt Hibbs curt at hibbs.com
Mon Aug 16 13:08:35 EDT 2004

I have to dash off to a meeting, so I'll read the rest of your email more
closely when I get back, but I wanted to respond to the one point below:

Stephen Steiner write:

> I'd love to find a good IDE that worked on OS X for Ruby development
> with a built-in
> debugger...

The choice here would be FreeRIDE. I've been holding off including it in the
windows version because I'm one of the founders of the FreeRIDE project
(Rich Kilmer is the other founder), and I was trying to avoid any
appearances of favoritism.

But FreeRIDE would definitely do the trick here. Its written in Ruby, uses
FXRuby to render its GUI, has a built-in debugger, and offers a parsed
source-tree for navigation (i.e., you can navigate a source file by
module/class/method).

> I'm going to put together a preliminary doc on what will be installed,
> etc. later today,
> mostly to clarify my own thinking on exactly where this project is
> going.

Excellent!

Thanks again for taking this on,
Curt