[Rubyinstaller-devel] RE: FXRuby and the (new) Ruby Installer for OS X

Curt Hibbs curt at hibbs.com
Mon Aug 16 07:02:34 EDT 2004

Stephen Steiner wrote:
> > My first choice would be for the user not to have to deal with anything
> > other than our installer. But if that is not possible/practical, then
> > here's
> > my list of preferences (in descending order):
> >
> > 1) First choice is to be for the installer to be completely
> > self-contained
> > and not to require anything else to already be installed on his system.
> So, basically, ship a bin only distribution?
> I was thinking of distributing everything with source code and, if
> that's the case,
> all they would have to install is the free developer tools that came
> with their system.
> Then we leverage those tools to build everything else.
> I'd be pretty surprised if there are too many people running OS X and
> using
> (or wanting to use) Ruby that don't have the developer tools already
> installed.
> I suppose we could just go look for the developer tools and ask, if
> they have them,
> how they want to proceed.
> Personally, I would much rather build from source for the user's
> particular setup
> than risk potential version mismatches with a pre-built binary.

In general, installing binaries is faster and less imposing on the user, and
thus has a better out-of-the-box experience for the end-user. If shipping
binaries is too problematic then I guess we'd have to build from source.

But, I just can't imagine that installing a commercial app OS X would need
to have development tools present to compile source code. How do commercial
products for OS X handle this problem?

I suppose a hybrid approach is also possible. A VMWare installation on
Linux, for example, contains precompiled binaries for the most common target
configuration but falls back to building from source when needed. The main
problem here is handling build failures in a user friendly manner.

I have to rely on your technical expertise as I am speaking from general
knowledge and I am totally ignorant of the technical problems of installing
software on OS X.

   Your emails don't seem to be making it to the RubyInstaller-Devel ML
(even though I can see you are sending them there). Are you getting any
rejection or bounce messages back from mailman?