[Rubyinstaller-devel] RE: FXRuby and the (new) Ruby Installer for OS X

Curt Hibbs curt at hibbs.com
Sat Aug 14 03:29:37 EDT 2004

Lyle Johnson wrote:
> On Aug 13, 2004, at 11:08 AM, Curt Hibbs wrote:
> > Anyway, I want to include FXRuby, if possible. Do you have (or can
> > have) a
> > binary build of FXRuby for OS X? We could build from source I suppose,
> > but
> > I'm trying to minimize the work Stephen has to do for OS X installer.
> > So, if
> > you have (or could have) OS X binaries, please let me know.
> I do have binaries that I've built on my PowerBook, but I'm a little
> concerned about how we manage dependencies and such. For example, my
> build of FXRuby depends on (at least) the following variables
> particular to my system:
> * Mac OS 10.3.4
> * Fink installations of libpng, libjpeg, etc.
> * Apple's X11 libraries
> * Ruby 1.8.1
> ... maybe you get the idea. ;)
> I'm happy to provide what I've got, we just need to consider how to
> make sure that it's going to work well on an arbitrary Mac OS X
> installation. It's even going to be more of a challenge if you go to a
> Ruby installer for Linux, I suspect.

I'd like to make it as simple and foolproof for the end-user as possible,
but I suppose that if it is too problematic, FXRuby can be included as a
checkbox option, and if the user selects it, then the runtime prerequisites
can be clearly displayed (making it the users responsibility). But, if at
all possible, I would prefer to avoid that.

> I wonder if an alternative approach might be to leverage one of the
> existing packaging projects (like Fink, or DarwinPorts) -- try to
> ensure that packages are available for all of the Ruby extensions we're
> interested in providing, something like that? Just a thought.

Perhaps, what do you think Steve?