[Rubyinstaller-devel] RE: Ruby Installer for OS X [was: Which version of Ruby is most widely used?]

Curt Hibbs curt at hibbs.com
Fri Aug 13 09:40:16 EDT 2004

Have you subscribed to the rubyinstaller-devel mailing list yet? We really
should be carrying on this conversation there, for several reasons... First
off, its less likely that I'll miss anything like I did with your last
email, because I have ML emails routed to a special folder that I pay extra
attention to. But, more importantly, its keeps the other developers on the
project "in the loop" and able to provide assistance/corrections/advice when
appropriate.

The Windows installer is a precompiled binary. The installer project,
itself, has two parts:
  1.. The build script (written in Ruby) downloads Ruby and extension
packages and builds the binary files.
  2.. An NSIS script picks up the binary files a creates a one-click
installer that contains them.
We don't check the binaries in to cvs, only the build and installer scripts
(there a some exceptions to this, but its not worth confusing the issue
right now).

Here's how I would like to proceed:

1) For the time being, I would forget about the build script and try to get
a working binary build on your system that includes the ruby extensions and
applications (like a syntax highlighting editor). If any of the extensions
are already available for OS X in binary format, then you don't need to
build them, just install it into the directory tree you are building.

I need to contact Lyle Johnson about a binary build of FXRuby for OS X
because I really want FXRuby to be included. Actually, we need it to be
included because I have plans to include RubyGems in the installer to allow
the user to pick other ruby extensions to install, and the coming-soon GUI
RubyGems Browser will use FXRuby.

2) Anyway, you would then use your completed and working binary build to
create your .pkg-based based installer. I did a quick search and found an
open source installer for OS X called i-install (http://www.rna.nl/ii.html).
I don't know if its any good, buts its worth checking out.

Any installer scripts that you created for this would be checked in to our
RubyForge CVS (but not the binaries).

3) Once you have a working one-click installer, we would send it to a few
select individuals for alpha testing. We would following that with a public
beta release and then a final release.

4) Once we have a stable, final release. We can work on automating the build
process (it'll be easier at this point, because you *know* what you want the
result to look like). You and I can work together to refactor the existing
build scripts for Windows so that we can share as much of the code as
possible between the Windows and OS X installers.

For the immediate future, you can concentrate on steps 1 & 2 and I'll start
working on the other administrative stuff.

Curt