[Rubyibm-developers] installing IBM_DB plugin on Windows platforms ...

Alex Pitigoi apitigoi at ca.ibm.com
Fri Mar 23 10:12:42 EDT 2007

I seems we have a favourable response so far on a request posted on
RubyForge-Forum to enable HTTP access to SVN stored plugins:

By: Gregory Brown
RE: hosting Rails plugins on RubyForge (http) [ reply ]
2007-03-22 11:18
Hi Alex,

I'd like to see HTTP SVN access too.
As far as implementation details go, this all looks pretty helpful, so
I've pinged Tom to see what he thinks, he can take it from here.

By: Alex Pitigoi
hosting Rails plugins on RubyForge (http)... [ reply ]
2007-03-22 10:37
After going through a few posts on the subject including the FAQ and the
smart and very interesting solution suggested (RailsPluginPackageTask), I
still have a few questions to clarify.

I am interested in hosting the plugin through http:// access, given that
for Windows platforms this seems to be the only way for script\plugin to
find and install (while svn:// access works fine with *nixes). Our
project, rubyibm, is hosted in a SVN repository, and in our local sandbox
we served a similar SVN repository through both SVN (svnserve) and HTTP
(apache2). That gave us plugin install access, from the same repository,
from both Windows and *nix clients.

Implementing the solution suggested in the FAQ would imply (from my
understanding) a cloning of the repository content in the project www
directory (/var/www/gforge-projects/<project_name>), and that would be
somewhat of a burden...

That being said I was wondering how difficult would be to enable RubyForge
infrastructure to allow a straight dav_svn access?

And here's some context regarding what we've used in our local sandbox to
enable http access to our SVN repository. Now, I have little knowledge of
the RubyForge infrastructure and this might not fit the picture, but I
hope together will find a way somehow.

# -----------------------------------------------------------------
# Import new project into a newly created SVN repository project
$ sudo svnadmin create --fs-type fsfs /var/svn/repos/plugins
$ sudo svn import -m "Initial import" /tmp/newplug
$ sudo chown -R svn.www-data /var/svn/repos/plugins
$ sudo chmod -R g+w /var/svn/repos/plugins
$ sudo chmod g+s /var/svn/repos/plugins/db
$ sudo usermod -G svn,www-data,<user_name> <username>
$ svnlook tree /var/svn/repos/plugins/
# -------------------------------------

# -------------------------------------
# Check Apache2 server DAV-SVN configuration and restart
$ cat /etc/apache2/sites-available/default # Apache2 default access
$ cat /etc/apache2/dav_svn.passwd # Apache2 DAV-SVN authentication config
$ cat /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/dav_svn.conf # Apache2 DAV-SVN
authorization config
$ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart # Apache2 server restart
# -------------------------------------

----- Forwarded by Alex Pitigoi/Toronto/IBM on 23/03/2007 09:57 AM -----

This needs to be solved rather soon for Windows users/developers to take
advantage of the clean and seamless install provided by the plugin. On
Linux/Unix the install is behaving as expected given the SVN access to
rubyibm repository is smooth, but on Windows only an HTTP access is
accepted by the script\plugin.

The current solution in Rubyforge mentioned on the FAQ (
http://rubyforge.org/docman/view.php/5/460/faq.html#railsplugin) doesn't
cut it either in my view, as it implies a duplication of the repository.
Normally an SVN repository can easily be enabled for access with both SVN
(svnserve) and HTTP (apache2), but current Rubyforge portal doesn't seem
to allow, unless the plugin tree is prepared and uploaded to the project
web page.

So, for now Windows users/developers will need to stick with Gem install
(one manual step involved) or install from source and all other manual
steps described in the README:

1. Linux and Unix platforms:
  $ ./script/plugin  source
  $ ./script/plugin list

2. Windows platforms:
  REGISTER REPOSITORY and QUERY  (not enabled yet @rubyibm.rubyforge.org)
  D:\NewApp>ruby script\plugin source
  D:\NewApp>ruby script\plugin list

P.S. the current project web location for HTTP plugin install is reachable
by browser, but script\plugin is yet happy with it:

Alex Pitigoi

Marlin: How do you know if they're ready?
Crush: Well, you never really know, but when THEY know, you know...
y'know? - <Finding Nemo>