"Federating" rubygems.org

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 17:50:25 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Evan Phoenix <evan at phx.io> wrote:
> While thinking about the gem size and dependency naming issues last night, I had a thought for a feature.
>
> What if the following were possible:
>
>  gem push --custom-url http://phx.io/gems/gx-1.0.0.gem gx-1.0.0.gem
>
> This would, rather than uploading the gx gem to rubygems.org, it would upload just the spec and set a "url" field that the user has specified. When the gem is requested for download, we'd redirect to that custom url.

The only problem I see with that is the usability issue: it will
require manual (or automated) upload of the gem to the custom server.

> Thoughts? Comments and Criticisms Required.

In my experience with S3+CloudFront, costs increases not on storage
but traffic. I have gigs of data stored on Amazon and pay pretty much
nothing while on CloudFront is another thing.
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17