"Federating" rubygems.org

Jon jon.forums at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 15:50:39 EST 2012

> On Jan 18, 2012, at 9:49 AM, Evan Phoenix wrote:
> > While thinking about the gem size and dependency naming issues last night, I had a thought for a feature.
> >
> > What if the following were possible:
> >
> >  gem push --custom-url http://phx.io/gems/gx-1.0.0.gem gx-1.0.0.gem
> >
> > This would, rather than uploading the gx gem to rubygems.org, it would upload just the spec and set a "url" field that the user has specified. When the gem is requested for download, we'd redirect to that custom url.

Would the --custom-url impl do a size check and could it easily be hacked to allow pushing whale gems?

Don't what you're thinking re: implementation, but wondering about this hypothetical:

1) create a 1024MB whopper-1.0.0.gem
2) fail on `gem push` due to limits and can't figure out how to locally hack RG to allow push
3) figure how to hack `gem push --custom-url` and push the whopper anyway

I'm guessing API key revocation could help in this scenario, but I'm curious on how and where size limits would get enforced.