Dealing with JRuby and jars

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Tue Jan 17 20:59:06 EST 2012

On Jan 12, 2012, at 10:46 AM, Evan Phoenix wrote:
> I feel like the crux of the request, removing the dependency name check on push, has gotten lost in the discussion.
>
> Given that it currently doesn't provide a true safeguard that the gem's deps are actually satisfied by gems currently on rubygems.org, I think we should go ahead and simply remove the check all together.
>
> If users create gems that have unresolvable deps (something they can easily do now) thats on them to do. We don't have a reason to police this aspect of gem availability.
>
> Any thoughts?

The biggest users of S3 space on rubygems.org embed other software within the gem.  Many of the embedded packages are jar files.  Having an alternate way of downloading the java packages will be an extreme help in reducing the size consumed by this tiny handful of gems.

Not every gem packages jar files, but it seems that gem authors need a way to ship third-party code their gems need to be useful for the users.  For jruby users the alternative is to embed all the jars needed which increases the costs on rubygems.org.  We should find an alternative mechanism for other authors that create large gems.

In the mean time, I think we should remove the dependency name check from rubygems.org.

We can possibly add it as a gem package time check to maintain most of the benefits.