Gem file size limits

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Tue Jan 17 20:46:14 EST 2012

On Jan 17, 2012, at 5:38 PM, Ryan Davis wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2012, at 16:13 , Luis Lavena wrote:
>> That leaves out gems with native dependencies like qtbindings.
>>
>> QT is massive and to ask users to compile it to be able to install it
>> on Windows is very problematic.
>>
>> qtbindings pre-compiled for Windows weight ~43MB, the limit you
>> comment will block them from publishing gems.
>>
>> There are other gems with pre-compiled bindings like qtbindings or
>> gtk2 (12MB) out.
>
> Maybe we should have a second gem source that doesn't have this restriction but isn't run by rubycentral and is sponsored by someone else (even if just by bandwidth)?
>
> After seeing a number of exponentially growing projects I do think _something_ needs to be done. My insistence on using hand checked manifests will only go so far. :P

Four of the exponential growth gems have been traced back to jeweler not cleaning the pkg/ dir before building gems and building out of the source directory, not a copy in the pkg/ directory.  I filed the following issue:

https://github.com/technicalpickles/jeweler/issues/216

actionpack-2.3.6 had a similar issue where test/tmp was not cleaned before packaging resulting in a 17MB gem.

I will double check the package code to ensure that only files listed in the spec are added to a packaged gem which should limit this problem, provided the build-tool authors do the right thing.