Gem file size limits

Ryan Davis ryand-ruby at zenspider.com
Tue Jan 17 20:38:51 EST 2012

On Jan 17, 2012, at 16:13 , Luis Lavena wrote:

> That leaves out gems with native dependencies like qtbindings.
>
> QT is massive and to ask users to compile it to be able to install it
> on Windows is very problematic.
>
> qtbindings pre-compiled for Windows weight ~43MB, the limit you
> comment will block them from publishing gems.
>
> There are other gems with pre-compiled bindings like qtbindings or
> gtk2 (12MB) out.

Maybe we should have a second gem source that doesn't have this restriction but isn't run by rubycentral and is sponsored by someone else (even if just by bandwidth)?

After seeing a number of exponentially growing projects I do think _something_ needs to be done. My insistence on using hand checked manifests will only go so far. :P