Dealing with JRuby and jars

Jeremy Hinegardner jeremy at hinegardner.org
Thu Jan 12 23:52:57 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 08:56:13PM -0300, Luis Lavena wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Evan Phoenix <evan at phx.io> wrote:
> > I feel like the crux of the request, removing the dependency name check on push, has gotten lost in the discussion.
> >

> You are right, I completely missed that point, my bad.
>
> > Given that it currently doesn't provide a true safeguard that the gem's deps are actually satisfied by gems currently on rubygems.org, I think we should go ahead and simply remove the check all together.
> >

> Couldn't find where that check is applied but if that means solving
> the issue for JRuby and not breaking anything else then go ahead :-)

https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems.org/blob/master/app/models/dependency.rb#L90

Currently when you push a gem, rubygems.org checks to see that the gem name that
is in the dependency exists on rubygems.org as a before_validation check.

I say we go ahead and remove this before_validation check.

-jeremy

 Jeremy Hinegardner                              jeremy at hinegardner.org