Dealing with JRuby and jars

Charles Oliver Nutter headius at headius.com
Mon Jan 9 16:48:39 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
> Forgot to mention, in current implementation, dependencies are not
> resolved across sources, so gems in rubygems.org will not find gems in
> jars.jruby.org (or whatever)

The maven-based gems are synthetic; we ship a patched version that
catches gems prefixed with "mvn" and handles them using our maven-gem
logic. There's no requirement for RubyGems to change to support that,
and dependencies appear to resolve just fine:

system ~/projects/cloby $ gem install cloby-0.0.3-java.gem
Successfully installed mvn:org.clojure:clojure-1.4.0.a.3-java
Successfully installed cloby-0.0.3-java
2 gems installed

I have a separate task on my list to get some small patches to
RubyGems to support plugging in other types of gem sources, such as
custom impls like ours.

- Charlie