No external deps on Rubygems.org?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 13:03:53 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter
<headius at headius.com> wrote:
> I ran into a snag trying to demo JRuby's support for installing Maven
> artifacts as gems: rubygems.org does not allow pushing gems with
> external dependencies.
>
> For the "cloby" gem, which exposes Clojure's STM and persistent list
> as Ruby instance variables, I wanted to have a dependency on Clojure
> directly from Maven, using JRuby's maven gem support. The gem name for
> that looks like "mvn:org.clojure:clojure". This worked well as a
> dependency in the gemspec, and local copies of the gem would also
> fetch Clojure from Maven Central. But I was not able to push the gem
> to rubygems.org.

1) Gem names with ":" will not work on Windows, is not safe.

2) RubyGems cannot install gems across multiple repositories (so if
your maven wrapper is in another server it will not find it)

3) Last but not least: let's not turn RubyGems "dependencies" into
"anything this gem depend on".

RubyGems dependencies *must be* a gem.
--
Luis Lavena