Make license/licenses field mandatory

Pavol Rusnak prusnak at
Thu Oct 13 12:39:33 EDT 2011

On 10/12/2011 03:54 PM, Pavol Rusnak wrote:
> Hi all!
> I'd like to propose making license/licenses field mandatory. While doing
> rubygem packages for Linux distributions we have to deal with licenses a
> lot and currently not having a license field in gemspec is the only
> thing stopping us from doing automated packaging. One has to unpack the
> gem, search for the license text and change the field by hand. If these
> fields were mandatory (i.e. one or the other), it would make the whole
> process much easier. In my opinion the license is very important aspect
> of the gem similarly important as its name and I think also non-Linux
> parts of Ruby ecosystem would benefit from that change. What do you think?

As most of you seem to agree, I created the following pull request[1]
containing the suggested change. Feel free to accept/comment/edit ...

Best Regards / S pozdravom,

Pavol RUSNAK                                       SUSE LINUX, s.r.o
openSUSE Boosters Team                            Lihovarska 1060/12
PGP 0xA6917144                                         19000 Praha 9
prusnak[at]                               Czech Republic