Make license/licenses field mandatory

Pavol Rusnak prusnak at opensuse.org
Wed Oct 12 09:54:28 EDT 2011

Hi all!

I'd like to propose making license/licenses field mandatory. While doing
rubygem packages for Linux distributions we have to deal with licenses a
lot and currently not having a license field in gemspec is the only
thing stopping us from doing automated packaging. One has to unpack the
gem, search for the license text and change the field by hand. If these
fields were mandatory (i.e. one or the other), it would make the whole
process much easier. In my opinion the license is very important aspect
of the gem similarly important as its name and I think also non-Linux
parts of Ruby ecosystem would benefit from that change. What do you think?

--
Best Regards / S pozdravom,

Pavol RUSNAK                                       SUSE LINUX, s.r.o
openSUSE Boosters Team                            Lihovarska 1060/12
PGP 0xA6917144                                         19000 Praha 9
prusnak[at]opensuse.org                               Czech Republic