[Rubygems-developers] [ rubygems-Bugs-29075 ] need for a post_install hook

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Fri Mar 11 08:54:19 EST 2011

Bugs item #29075, was opened at 2011-03-11 14:36
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=575&aid=29075&group_id=126

Category: `gem install` command (extensions)
Group: next

Initial Comment:
While there is Gem.post_install this cannot be used for gems that want to run some code on installation.

In my particular case I need to compile some C++ code -a command line tool- that the gem depends on. It does not come with an extension though. Since there is no post_install hook exposed to the gem lifecycle people use the extconf for things like this. Since that one makes the assumption of building an extension, leaving out the create_makefile() results in

 ERROR:  Error installing ...

 No builder for extension 'path/to/extconf.rb'

Which result in people doing things like this http://blog.costan.us/2008/11/post-install-post-update-scripts-for.html

The best solution would certainly be to have some gem lifecyle hooks. But just making less assumption on the extension building would already be a first step.