Dropping Ruby 1.8.x support for 2.0?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 19:50:35 EST 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Erik Hollensbe <erik at hollensbe.org> wrote:

> Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you regarding the concerns; I just think that communicating the plan is just as important as carrying out. That might mean a later point of removed 1.8.7 support to give people enough time to react appropriately.
>
> I guess what I'm envisioning is a bunch of big changes to rubygems and a large portion of the user base not being able to work with the changes (be they to gem/spec formats, etc) because they're on a previously well-supported version of ruby. Communicating "we're doing this in 2.1" for example gives plenty of time for the invested users to say, "ok, we really need to get off 1.8.7 now".

Hehe, is funny, because no matter what we do, people will complain
(proof: deprecation warnings since 2008, nobody paid attention to
them, world was on fire for months, several times)

I was just expressing my thoughts in relation to code maintenance, not
saying we should do it right now.

I still support RubyInstaller releases of Ruby 1.8.7 and will keep
doing until it gets officially dead or I die, whatever happens first
:-)
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17