[Rubygems-developers] gem lock

Ryan Davis ryand-ruby at zenspider.com
Wed Sep 29 21:00:14 EDT 2010

On Sep 29, 2010, at 14:55 , Luis Lavena wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 6:51 PM, James Tucker <jftucker at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 29 Sep 2010, at 18:31, Luis Lavena wrote:
>>>
>>> But, if you want it fixed, you can fork it and send the pull request,
>>> I would love to review it and if it works, happy to merge it.
>>
>> I would be wary to merge in any update to this feature that doesn't fix the issues of the style I just highlighted. In fact, it should pass all of the dependency collision spec examples that you might find in the bundler resolver tests. If it doesn't, it's basically broken.
>>
>> As we don't have users using this feature, and it's broken, I would suggest it should be removed by the next major release unless someone has fixed it.
>
> Point taken, I believe it was obvious but just to clarify: review will
> use bundler complex dependency resolution as comparison for approval.

I've been talking to Eric about the possibility of merging Isolate into rubygems and he's agreed that it is a good idea. I think in light of that we can remove gem lock entirely and have a cleaner overall impl. It is old and busted and nobody actually uses it to the best of our knowledge so me might as well put a bullet in it.