[Rubygems-developers] gem lock

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 17:31:36 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Trans <transfire at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 29, 3:19 pm, Luis Lavena <luislav... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 6:12 AM, Trans <transf... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I recently noticed that `gem` had a `lock` command. I played around
>> > with it and found it mostly useless. First, one has to provide it the
>> > name and version of an installed gem. It would be much more useful if
>> > it could take a gemspec file instead. Also, it does not appear to
>> > utilize remote gem source(s) to resolve best dependencies, but simply
>> > uses the versions of gems installed locally. It would be much more
>> > useful if it recognized the --remote option and acted accordingly.
>> > Also, it could use an option to include/not-include development
>> > dependencies.
>> I actually don't remember the last time I used that command and
>> discarded by ~> in my gem dependencies
>> Do we have a 1.4.x Roadmap? If not, this for sure can be removed then.
> Why remove it? Why not just fix it?

The logic for dependency resolution (ala: bundler AOT) is not easy
stuff which could grow our codebase and maintenance requirements.

IMHO with Bundler and Isolate out there, posible usefulness of lock
has disappeared.

But, if you want it fixed, you can fork it and send the pull request,
I would love to review it and if it works, happy to merge it.

Luis Lavena
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry